Friday, January 6, 2012

Backyard Kart

The boys--Matt in particular--have only one gripe about our new abode: I've yet to hook up the Wii.

I have my reasons.  Several have to do with my lack of audio/visual equipment skills. But the main reason has nothing to do with cables, inputs and outputs.

Left to their own devices, the boys have created their own version of their beloved Mario Kart. And no, they haven't created a video game fort theater a la Phineas and Ferb (though I believe it completely within their power).

One afternoon when we were outside playing, Gabe whined that Matt wasn't sharing the big wheel. I handed him a box of sidewalk chalk expecting to see a collection of dinosaurs and sharks appear mural-like on the black top.

Instead, he began plotting a race course.


Matt quickly caught on. He rode the big wheel and I jogged beside him.


The course was complete with Mario-style items or treats as I call them.  As we rode and ran over them, Gabe shouted which treat we earned. Matt and I then shouted how we were using our treats.

"Red shell to Matt!"


We had so much fun with our driveway and chalk version of Mario Kart, I've hesitated going back to the electronic one.


When I win the Wii version of the race, I don't get the same high-five.


No comments:

Post a Comment