Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Questions

My boys are full of questions. Usually these questions are along the science lines. How are clouds made? Why are cat's tongues rough? What makes volcanoes erupt? And while science isn't my forte, I have the Internet at my fingertips and can look the answers up.

Last week, I got some much harder questions. Why don't you and daddy live together? What's a divorce? Was it because of me?

The last was a heart breaker, because I grew up with that question myself. For nearly forty years, I thought the answer was yes.

Our conversation was long and deep. Much deeper than I realized my little fellow thought. After we'd hugged and he bounced to the door towards his toys, he turned with a final worry.

"When you were married, you didn't like kiss my daddy every day, did you?"

"Yep," I said as seriously as I could. "Sometimes more than once."

"Oh my God. I can't handle that." And he beat a hasty retreat.

No comments:

Post a Comment