Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Wildlife Wednesday: Weird Moth-like Thing

That's its official name.


Originally, I thought it was a hummingbird moth and that still might be the case. At least with this fellow on the top.  He/she looks a lot like this moth on the Bug Guide, which lists the common name as such.


I posted this second picture to Project Noah and someone commented it was not a hummingbird moth. The distinct stripes mean it's a normal sphinx moth, specifically Amphion Floridensis.

May I remind you I got a "D" in ninth grade biology?  Therefore, my final label for this critter is: "weird moth-like thing."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Resources

What would I do without the BugGuide?  The guide can be found at http://bugguide.net and for the record, states that both of the above are members of the sphinx moth family.

Project Noah - we've just started playing with this. I have the app on my phone. The website describes it as "a tool to explore and document wildlife and a platform to harness the power of citizen scientists everywhere." I'll write more about it when we've had more experience with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment