Thursday, July 12, 2012

Hot Weather Hiking Snacks

I learned a valuable the lesson the first year the boys and I ventured on the trails.

Children, like adults, hike better when they're well hydrated and fed.

Admittedly, it was kind of a "duh" moment. Veteran hikers will snicker at my ignorance. But it isn't that I didn't bring any sustenance, I just didn't bring enough. After a few disastrous outings when I only had a couple bottles of water and a granola bar, I realized the error of my ways.

Now we venture out with day packs, a couple snacks a piece (e.g. an apple and granola bar) and our own hydration systems. We return to a cooler in the car, stocked with more water and refreshing snacks.

A new favorite treat to have waiting in the car?  Frozen grapes.

Cold, slushy goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment