Monday, January 7, 2013

H.O.R.S.E.

I learned to play basketball using a rusted, net-less hoop mounted to the wall of the corn crib on my grandparent's farm. My cousins and I played our own version of NBA ball and "Around the World," but our favorite game was H.O.R.S.E.

My dad sometimes played and he invariably cheated. I think I was in middle school when I learned blatant shoving wasn't part of the game. Because of this skewed knowledge, I'll refrain from telling you how to play (you'll end up trash talking with your eight year old). I can, however, provide you with the appropriate links at the end of this post.

I researched the rules last year when we moved to Aunty M's. We realized early on that one of the many, many perks was the adjustable hoop in our driveway. These pictures are from then, when I first taught the boys H.O.R.S.E., but we played again this past weekend (who knew Sunday would turn out so beautiful?).

Matt, for all his diminutive height, is our best athlete.


But only Gabe will try my famous backward Granny shot.



There is always much jumping, cheering and. . . I am my father's daughter. . . trash talking.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

How to play H.O.R.S.E.
from "Classic Kids Games," About Grandparents

How to play Around the World
from GettingOutside.com

No comments:

Post a Comment